A Brief History of the Royal Armoured Corps Yacht Club
The Royal Armoured Corps Yacht Club was formed in 1949 as Europe began to settle down after WWII and there was a demand for some organisation of the great deal of sailing done by RAC based at
Bovington. The Club had the use of two yachts: Theodora and Alamein. The former, a famous Bristol pilot cutter that later won the first Tall Ships Race, is still in
commission and is being refurbished by her current owners under her original name Kindly
Sadly, Theodora proved too expensive to maintain and after a particularly stormy passage from Germany across the North Sea in August 1952 she had to be towed into Harwich, having blown out all her headsails. She was sold shortly after and Alamein went the same way three years later.